Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Walking Home: A Vision

It has rained
and the tail of the storm now wanders passed us,
headed south.
It drags along the face of our mountains,
veiling them in misty glory,
while the sun ignites the frayed clouds into
white, white, white
against patches of infinite blue sky.
The sidewalks are wet but the roads are dry.
And I am small,
struggling to comprehend the magnitude of the atmosphere
that dips in and out of my lungs,
astonished at the joy of light and rock that
defies a dead, brown winter.
Still,
my young back is bent
with an aged worry
for new life.
And tomorrow trudges on,
with regrets and small victories,
while the fragile future
waits,
hungry for dreams.
But I will claim this as my vision.
I was formed of sunshine, blood, and water
just to witness
the departure of this storm.
Like the scrub oak on the slopes,
I am alive today
and daily,

eating manna from the hand of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment